Saturday, December 1, 2007

Creative Writing

Let's not forget the time-honored art of writing.

The Internet forces each of us to be verbal.

We "meet" people online on a daily basis who we may never actually physically meet.

Most of us don't have full fledged video conferencing, and therefore we're forced to express ourselves through the written word.

Paradoxically, as the technology has so rapidly grown, we have returned to the pre-twentieth century skill of letter writing.

I have found that I am much more likely to e-mail a letter to a complete stranger than I am to phone someone I don't know.

I'll more readily post my comments to an online discussion group than I would break into an actual group in "real" life.

How many of us would hold a sign up in a busy train station reading, "Can someone help me with adding memory to my PC," and yet the relative anonymity of the Net allows us to admit our weaknesses to the world at large and ask for help.

No comments: